Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse

So it looks like Disney is still trying to keep Mickey Mouse and friends alive. That is fine, I have no problem with this, in fact, I encourage it. Mickey Mouse Clubhouse is a perfectly benign effort to do so. Sure, it's kinda boring, and shares a plot template with just about every other kids' show out there, but it is harmless. I could go off about how Mickey and co. are not as fun as they used to be, or how the cartoons have stopped trying to appeal to adults like they used to, but I wont. It's a well-meaning effort, and some of the songs are written by They Might Be Giants. That's pretty awesome. Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and I are cool, except for on two small issues:

First we have Donald's ducks... Donald owns a family of pet ducks
I'm not entirely sure I'm okay with this. Though, at the same time, Pluto and Goofy are both dogs, and Mickey owns Pluto while Goofy walks upright. I'm almost willing to accept this one.

The second issue I have is with the clubhouse itself:
 ... Am... I the only one who is not comfortable with the fact that the clubhouse is made of the haphazardly assembled, dismembered body parts of Mickey Mouse? It really doesn't help that the red porch looks like a pool of blood or that the blue slide looks like a segment of intestine. Did nobody tell Mickey that this might actually be a bad idea when he showed them the blueprints? Cause, to me, this looks less like a clubhouse, and more like an elaborate threat that a serial killer would set up to let Mickey know that he's next...

I dunno, maybe I'm the sick one here, but just try to imagine a similar structure built with pieces of Donald or Goofy... Doesn't seem so innocent now, does it?

Edit:
I wasn't going to do this, but my sister absolutely insisted that I provide visual aids for the images I invoked above. She's to blame for me drawing this. That said...
The Donald Duck and Goofy Clubhouses:
I apologize profusely to everyone for the existence of this. I'm going to go sit in the corner now.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ugh. 0_o UGH.

Jessica Grosland said...

Ooh! Cool! Make one of me! :D

Laurel and David Lowe said...

HAHAHA!! Way too funny. I take full responsibility. Feel free to forward any angry emails to me.

Meg said...

I never really liked Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. Something about second-rate CG animation gets on my nerves. This is also the reason I was not in favor of the CG Winnie the Pooh series, despite loving everything Pooh. Truly, I am one of the Pixar generation. And that clubhouse was always disturbing.

WV: moperi. This needs to be made a word immediately.